29 August 2010

Why Do I Torture Myself?

Fist off, I gave to blog a face lift. I'm a big fan of orange. Hope it doesn't bug anyone. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

It's in my nature to do things the hard way. I'm not sure if my parents were naughty or if I was cursed for taking candy from an old woman's house without permission when I was young. Either way, if a task or a project can be complicated in any way, I can figure out just how to do it.

Revisions on my YA novel are supposed to start on Wednesday. I read my original manuscript last week and thought I would get started early. Today even. You know, get ahead and all that. Now that I think about it I wonder if I'm my own oxymoron. I make things more complicated than they need to be, but I also plan things so I generally end up ahead of schedule. Huh.

Back to my point. I've been thinking about how to improve my novel going into revisions, and I've had the idea that the story needs to be darker and a little more raw. So tonight I decided to try it out. I spent the last 3 hours re-writing the first chapter of the novel.

I think I hate it.

Someone kick me in the head . . . please.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm with you. I had done some rewrites and just now decided I hate them. The really bad part? I didn't do a new save as so the old stuff is lost. How dumb am I? So now I'm just looking at blogs because the thought of writing right now makes me want to cry.

Lace and Books said...

Jo Ann *comfort* I know you have some kind of schedule to stick too, but I would honestly set it aside and work on something else THEN come back to it. In fact if you can wait till this weekend I'll read it and send you editor comments. That's usually how it's done. I also have a book on being your own editor...when I'm done with it you can borrow it.

Grow Family said...

I loved your rewrite Jo.