07 October 2012

Paranorman



A misunderstood boy, takes on ghosts, zombies and grown-ups to save his town from a centuries-old curse.

Why did I see this movie again?

Because it looks funny! Very “B” movie in kids form, which intrigued me.

5 out of 5

Characters

As in so many kids movies, there are a plethora of characters that all follow their own trope. Which totally works for kids, and is okay for me. There was the bully turned helper, the fat kid turned best friend, the family that doesn't understand the main character, an older sister that should be smacked and zombies... Which always add some interest. :) So the characters were a bit cookie-cutter, but I still loved them all.

4 out of 5

Did I care what happened?

Yes. The first half of the film drew me in more than the last half did. I think because the first bit was about the characters, and the tail end was about breaking the curse, and the two sections didn't quite meld right. But I still cared what happened. They just lost me for a while.

4 out of 5

Plot Holes

No plot holes. Just the slow bit in the middle that got riddled with slap-stick humor for the kids. The kids in the audience thought it was hilarious, I just wanted the end of the story!

4 out of 5

How many times did I yawn?

Oops, just went over this. Just once.

3 out of 5

Cool Factor

Stop motion animation? Yes, please. I didn't see it in 3-D, but heard that it was good there. I loved all of the detail they put into the scenes and the characters. Great stuff. Good effects.

5 out of 5

The End

I thought the end was a little down played. Sure, Norman is the only one who can save the town, but I didn't feel like the set up for him doing so was as strong as it could have been. But he does it and everyone ends up happy. Well, except for his sister. You'll have to watch the movie to see why.

4 out of 5

Overall Enjoyment

Funny, witty, visually pleasing and had enough little twists to keep me totally entertained.

4 out of 5

Score= 32

That's a Brown Belt!


No comments: