27 March 2011

Starship Troopers


Ever since I was about twelve years old, and I saw Aliens on TV for the first time, I've been a huge fan of military Sci-Fi. One of the first Sci-Fi, military books I read is called White Wing. I was probably only twelve or thirteen when I read it. Ender's Game is a favorite of mine as well. Unfortunately, at the time I had a hard time finding any military Sci-Fi (the bookmobile wasn't very big in Westminster Colorado), so I kind of jumped off that wagon and on to the fantasy wagon. One of my teachers recommended the Foundation series, and I remember hating it. I think I was way to young to get it.

Apparently I didn't look in the right place. Starship Troopers was written in 1959 (it must have been in the library somewhere when I was growing up) by Robert A. Heinlein. I just finished it on CD, and loved it. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Of course, if the above cover was on the book, I probably got scared and put it back.

I was expecting more action. The opening consists of Johnny (the main character) going on a drop with is unit to “shock and awe” the skinnys into submission. But after that, the story flashes to how he enlisted and then goes through boot camp, his first few assignments and officer's school before we finally get back to the action. Surprisingly, I was okay with that. Besides a few chapters that went a little too heavy handed on moral philosophy, I was totally entertained.

Of course, I'm a sucker for a good military story. All the while listening to Starship Troopers I kept finding things people had stolen. Aliens (still love that show) borrowed heavily from Starship Troopers, as did all those fun Mobile Suit Gundam Animes that I've watched. It was really cool to read the original. Or maybe there is something before this? I dunno. I'll find it someday.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Is it anything like the movie?

-Jo- said...

Never saw the movie, but I'd have to venture a no.